Re: transmission oil

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: transmission oil
From: mit-eddie!hpfcmi.fc.hp.com!rdg@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 11 May 90 11:39:19 MDT
> were "cleaned" off by detergent oil.  "Rebuild in a can" sure sounds
> omenous in this context.  Jack told me to use plain 30w motor oil,

Recall, the phrase "rebuild in a can" was from a third party, *not*
from Redline. Redline has not made any fantastic claims for their MTL.
All fantastic claims have come from third parties. I do not beleive
that Redline MTl is snake oil. At the very worst, it's a decent tranny
lube. I do not know if MTL is a detergent oil or not. I'll try to
remember to dig up some info on the stuff.

> So far, all the discussion on the merits of synthetic gear oil has
> related to old gearboxes.  I have heard that synthetic oil should not
> be used in new engines because it prevents things from wearing in
> properly.  Do any such considerations apply to new(ly rebuilt) gearboxes?

I don't know. I am not a transmission expert. In fact, I don't know
a thing about them. I'm just a satisfied user of Redline MTL.

> Can I get Redline tranny lube at my local BAP or such like?

I don't know. My source is IPD, in Portland, OR. 503-257-7500. Around
$7/qt, plus shipping.

> How does it affect the transmission if one use 80-90 wt gear oil
> rather that 20W-50 engine oil?

I would say use what the manufacturer recommends, unless you have some
good reason not to. IMHO, Redline MTL is a good reason.

Rob