Re: New Solo 2 Officers for 2005 and change to Street Tire

To: Bryan Nemy <bnemy@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: New Solo 2 Officers for 2005 and change to Street Tire
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 01:00:55 -0800
On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 11:50:58PM -0800, Bryan Nemy wrote:
> Also at the meeting we decided that to assist in making the run groups more
> even and to foster better competition in the stock classes the Street Tire
> class will no longer exist as a single class.  Instead there will be
> separate Street Tire class for each stock class.

As a former competitor in the Street Tire class, I am unhappy to see
this happen.  It basically destroys what has been a large, competetive
class, and adds fifteen new classes each with too few competitors to
be interesting.

There are good reasons for people to run in the Street Tire class,
including tire cost and the desire to not have to change tires at the
event.  Breaking up that class is not going to promote better
competition in the stock or street prepared classes, because we all
know that even the best street tires are no match for the new DOT-R
tires except perhaps on one particular site.  If the idea is to get
people to switch to DOT-R compounds, I think you will lose as many as
you convert, while most of the people who want to run street tires
continue to do so.  They just won't get the enjoyment of running in a
large and competetive class...that will be replaced by the ability to
compare times with similarly prepared cars running DOT-R tires in the
same run group, which really isn't all that instructive or fun.

If the committee would reconsider this decision, I would be happy to
examine the past event attendance data and try to work out how to
better balance the run groups.  I don't understand how breaking up
Street Tire will make balancing the run groups any easier though.
Could someone explain that?

I'm sorry I couldn't be in San Leandro on Tuesday to say all this
then.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94