Re: Last Sunday

To: "Escano, Arnold \(MP\)" <aescano@guidant.com>
Subject: Re: Last Sunday
From: "Anthony Tabacco" <tony@atarchitects.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:51:47 -0800
I don't think there is any "regular" procedure we can install that can deal
with this sort of thing. The mindset of a thief is really beyond anything
any of us can relate to in the first place. Think about where you would have
to be to enter a closed dead end area with several hundred people that seem
to know each other pretty well and load up a set of wheels. Most likely,
think about how much rock you would have to do to think it was a reasonable
idea. I know I regularly leave my keys, wallet and phone right out there in
the open, never mind tires. Probably our best bet is to think about a sort
of "neighborhood watch" approach where we just get more aware and become
conscious of who is parked around us of those walking through our area. If
you went there to steal, you're going to wait for an opportune time to get
by the gate anyway.

I know when Carolyn and I dropped by last weekend, we stopped at the sign in
table (unstaffed at lunch break when we drove in but only for about 10
minutes) and I had a guy and his young daughter sign in. At first he didn't
want to because he "only wanted to watch", so I told him there was no charge
to watch but he did have to sign in. Which he did. I have believed for
awhile that our problems of getting waivers signed are in part because
honest folks see the table and assume there is an admission charge attached
to site entry. Thieves just watch and wait.

Not sure where to go with this but I guess we all just need to be more
careful, and that is a shame. We usually hire a guard for Stockton, but that
is a really porous site from an access point of view. I assume this was
reported to the Oakland Police, although I did not see any mention of that.
Perhaps we can ask them to drop by from time to time. They are certainly
welcome.
Tony