RE: Geez! (was: Going Downhill)

To: "J C" <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Geez! (was: Going Downhill)
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:19:05 -0800
You can get a G-Tech Pro for under $150. It's just as accurate, but less
functional. Only one axis means you mount it sideways for lateral Gs,
forwards for acceleration & braking so you can't measure both simultaneously
(unless you buy two!) and the G-tech doesn't have as many fancy features.
But it does work. It measures instantaneous or continuous Gs, 0-60 and 1/4
mile acceleration, 60-0 braking distance and engine horsepower. The accuracy
of these things is always limited by real world factors more than the device
internals.

I must admit I use mine only very occasionally, mostly as a novelty so it's
not really very useful. However, it does measure reasonably consistent
values IF you use it in a near "perfect" environment -- meaning very smooth
& flat pavement. For example, I've tried a few 0-60 runs with various cars
and if I do them back to back in the same location it usually measures
within 0.2 second of each other. And some of that difference could be the
driver, so the real accuracy is there. OTOH, in a "real" environment that is
not perfectly smooth and flat it has basically no consistency or accuracy at
all.

Basically it's a novelty item. Pretty neat for geeks who like that sort of
thing. But also pretty useless in terms of objective value.