Re: Geez! (was: Going Downhill)

To: <Eljssp8@aol.com>, <mrclem@telocity.com>, <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Geez! (was: Going Downhill)
From: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:13:57 -0800 (PST)
I have one of the early serial number cubes back when it was a "Box" and
way before it was "Extreme".  I've found it pretty useful, but it's best
use is comparing to other drivers in the same car.

It does map the general shape of the course, but it can't be used to tell
how far off the apex you were.  It does have numerous guages that show
calculated speed in MPH which can be used to see when you were above or
below other runs... or how fast you were when you broke.  It takes some
time to do the analysis the day after, but combined with the knowledge
that Byron has collected over the years (which he's willing to share in
person and in NAP), and the data I've collected, I feel like I better
understand where REAL time is gained and lost.  Of course, I still have
problems executing that plan, but at least I know where I'm losing a
chunk of time (high speed sweepers).

Theoretically it can be used to judge performance improvements of various
car modifications as it tracks peak and sustained lateral g's as well as
a calculated horsepower guage.  If you have access to a 100ft skidpad it
would definitely be good for alignment and tire testing, but all the
variables on your typical autocross run generally prevent that (unless
the change is major between runs of course).

As Josh said, http://www.extremegeez.com/ and Byron Short is always
willing to answer questions when he's not out on the road working or
giving seminars.

        --Darren