Re: Forum/ Sunday's course

To: Josh Sirota <josh@sirota.org>
Subject: Re: Forum/ Sunday's course
From: Giles Douglas <giles@vy.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:44:15 -0800 (PST)
But it still depends on it. The overlap just depends on other things. To
say that the number of cars you can run in one day is not dependent on the
number of cars on course is wrong. The variable "number of cars on the
course" is, as everyone correctly argues, dependent on the course size,
safety considerations, driver considerations, and timer considerations.

The difference is that the course configuration defines the optimal number
of cars on the course. If the timer isn't paying attention, or something
else is going on, the number of cars on the course falls, and the event
takes longer to run.

This is somewhat akin to saying that

The time taken to get somewhere is dependent on the speed of the car
The speed of the car is dependent on the horsepower of the engine.

Therefore (following the logic expressed below) the time taken to get
somewhere is dependent on the horsepower, and not the speed of the car.
This is silly.

It still dependent, the fact that it in turn depends on something else is
completely irrelevant.

        Giles