Sunday Musings

To: "'ba-autoX@autox.team.net'" <ba-autoX@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sunday Musings
From: "Runnion, Ed" <Ed_Runnion@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:44:08 -0800
 First off, THANKS to everyone who pitched in to make the event run so well
yesterday.   Barry and I couldn't have done it without ya!

>How did you do the weather like that?

Katie worked her magic :^)

>How did you get the entire population of a medium city through by sunset?

I'm still wondering that myself :^).

BTW, I'm guessing 345 participants.

Re: Cop Car Runs

>That was definitely one of the more... shall we say...
>amusing experiences I've had at an autocross and it
>was my first ride in the back of a police car <hehe>!
>At the finish his partner said "and that's why I don't
>let him drive". They both had blast. I feel awful as I
>forgot their names already, nice guys though. That car
>certainly had no problem spinning the wheels. I can't
>really imagine having to chase another car in that
>thing, it's definitely A LOT of vehicle.

Just FYI : The Ford Crown Vic (which is what that cop car was) is about
150-200 lbs LIGHTER than my Impala SS (around 4050-4100 lbs with the cop
equip but no people, vs about 4250-4300 in my "running trim" yesterday with
no people).  It also has an inherently slightly better rear suspension setup
than my car (Watts vs 4-link).   Granted, I am up about 60 HP and 60 ft-lbs
(plus better gearing, and obviously a lot better tires) versus that cop car.

I ran a 43.9 for my best time yesterday, which I'm pretty happy with.
Finally got my rear suspension re-sorted out, so I could power out of the
turns a whole lot better than some of my recent suspension "experiments".

>Of course, officer Motorola is very difficult to run from!

:^).

Remind me sometime, and I'll try and find the news video clip of the Impala
SS that OUTRAN the cops in Oklahoma (and "cops" includes the Police/News
HELICOPTERS as well....one giving chase had to give up because the
Helicopter motor was overheating from running at WOT for so long!!).   It
never got published, but the SS was clocked at 157 MPH at the end of a long
straight (as confirmed by one of the OK State Police officers involved in
the chase)!   The Crown Vics could "sorta" catch him in a few turns
(inexperienced SS driver, experienced cop drivers) but every time they hit a
straight again the SS would just leave them like they were standing still!

I believe the SS finally got caught because of spike strips or running out
of gas!   Like you said, you can't outrun Motorola....eventually :^).

Re : Gate Position

This one was sorta thrown at us (as Event Chairs) at the last minute (thus
why it wasn't on the sign-up sheet at registration at all, and as event
chairs we were having to constantly try and dig up folks to do it).    For a
"first try", I'd say it worked pretty damn well.....and a BIG thanks to
Michelle for getting it going in the morning!     It WILL be a fixture at
all future events, per the SCCA National Office.

I am sure it will run a lot better at the next event.

Re: The Insurance thing

As Jerry mentioned, this event came closer than most realize to not
happening at all.    Oakland Coliseum decided Thurs night (late, after
national SCCA office was closed) that they wanted different wording on the
certificate.    There was a BLIZZARD in Denver (where the national SCCA
office is for now) on Friday....thus almost no one in the office!    Let's
just say it took a LOT of footwork by John and Pat Kelly, which included
Steve Johnson himself getting involved, to get it sorted out!    Next time
you see the Kellys, tell them thanks!

Re: Course Design

Thank Barry for it.    I agree, that was an AWESOME course!    Only tight
spot I saw was right at the start, where folks kept hitting that one cone
before the timers.   But, I made three runs in MY car without hitting it, so
if I can make it thru there then anyone can :^).

Ed Runnion        Santa Clara CA
mailto:Ed_Runnion@RegionOfDoom.com
96 Chevy Impala SS (not stock), #984 ESP