Re: Informal Poll on "sort of" pre-reg. for autox !

To: craig boyle <craig_autox@yahoo.com>, Pat Kelly
Subject: Re: Informal Poll on "sort of" pre-reg. for autox !
From: Randy Noll <rnoll98@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:00:04 -0800 (PST)
Stab in the dark here:

Buy 2 older laptops, one in trailer, one at reg table, linked by cord
(may mean reg table has to sit near trailer) -- cost ~$2k

Online registration (name, address, class, work assignment preference
1,2,3, etc.) w/Paypal that feeds a database. Online reg. closes Fiday
night (midnight) before Sunday's event (thurs for sat events). Online
reg feeds database for Sunday. -- not sure of cost, probably less than
$500 for setup/software.

Tech: do the annual sticker deal with separate tech for first timers
from 8-1 or by request, or if this violates SCCA rules then just close
the grid early and tech all cars on grid, no extra workers needed.

Waivers at gate, nobody enters site w/out one, no extra workers needed.

Sunday morning: Pre-registers already in database. New registers fill
out card and give back to reg table. Extra person at reg table to enter
into computer #1 which is linked to computer #2. Don't anyone freak out
yet, this extra person will save others tons of time. Reg for one run
group will close when the prior group starts, allowing time for data
entry. All non-first timer's info will be already in the computer,
might require number change or sponsor update.

Use whatever software they use at Nats/Tours to run the event -- not
sure of cost here. Is this a proprietary program or did they buy it?

Here's the kicker, with the software you can get instantaneous results,
including PAX times, printed immediately after the run group (shoot at
nats they were posting times between runs--but that's not necessary).
You can electronically post the results to the web THAT DAY, no
transcribing times from each card to the results table. Any errors or
incorrect cones, etc. can be handled and corrected on site at the reg
table (remember, computers are linked).

This has to save someone (Pat I believe) a lot of time on the back end.
This would eliminate the recorder and card sorter positions in the
trailer, and the position to post results on the side of the trailer
(all it would be is print and stick), more than making up for the extra
person at the reg table.

All of the costs would be one-time for equipment/software and possibly
a nominal recurring paypal fee (not sure on this). I'm not sure what
type of money the club has for this, and yes I've been too lazy to make
the 2 hour rush hour drive down from North Oakland to a steering
committee meeting.

It seems that this would save a lot of Chiefs/members a lot of time
(mostly behind the scenes) and possibly increase the capacity of SFR on
any given day, which means more money, possibly enough in one year to
cover the equipment cost.

Is something close to this even remotely possible?

Randy

http://personals.yahoo.com