Re: Mountain Biking in Marina?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mountain Biking in Marina?
From: Todd Stiers <tas@darthracing.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 00:28:29 -0800
Hi,

Hey, something us non-M3ers can comment about!

I own several bicycles each costing more than my autox car,
(Hail Darth Rabbit!) but I've never considered a hybrid because
they are such a compromise in functionality. They are slow on the
road AND on the trail.

I'd recommend a mountain bike, then consider changing/altering
tires depending on the terrain you ride. If you like the rough
and hills, you are set. If you want some go or spend lots
of time on the road, put on smoothies. If you want some real go
and/or distance, grab a road bike (it does make a huge difference).

Try Shimano LX (off road), or Shimano 105 (road) or better components
if you can (especially derailers/shifters).
Be more concerned about how bike fits your body than the gadgetry,
materials,
paint job and even price. An ill-adjusted saddle height, top-tube length
or annoying saddle can take the fun out biking pretty fast. As a male of
the species returning to biking after time away, I'd recommend that you
PLAN
on trying several saddle types if you can. Padded shorts help too, but
the
shape of the saddle and where it lands are more critical than the
padding.

Don't forget a snell helmet with lots of holes and a visor,
-Todd

ps: I only know localish Berkeley shops - I'd recommend Missing Link
 on Shattuck and Velo Sport on Martin Luther King. Watch out buying used
(look for damage/bent/worn frame parts) and potentially hot stuff.

ps2: For the price of a few extra cubic inches, you can own a Ferrari
(or Hummer) equivalent in the bike world.

--
Todd Stiers
tas@darthracing.com