RE: Mountain Biking in Marina?

To: "Ba-Autox@Autox. Team. Net" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mountain Biking in Marina?
From: Mike Eynon <stingray@onth.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:13:50 -0800
Finally... something I can talk intelligently about!

I agree with Todd.  If you can help it, do not buy a Hybrid bike.  Hybrid
bikes are built entirely for comfort and price.  That sounds great, but
don't get sucked in unless you are looking for something disposable.

Hybrid bikes are like the Honda SUV... its pretty much assumed that you will
never see dirt with it, but you have that, "If I really wanted to go
off-road, I could" feel-good feeling in the back of your mind.  Because
these bikes set you more upright, the frame geometry is quite different than
a traditional mountain bike, and is more prone to breakage; not to mention
that the quality is less than satisfactory.  Couple this with the crappy
parts usually used to build these, and you have... a disposable bike that is
good for nothing more than cruising your neighborhood.

If you are concerned about ride comfort, follow Todd's instructions below,
and have a bike shop exchange the stem for something a little shorter and
with a steeper angle than what comes stock.  You can also get a softer seat.

A good rule of thumb is the $400 rule.  If you actually plan to ride the
bike on anything other than asphalt, you need to spend at least $400;
otherwise, you will spend at least that much replacing all the cheap parts
and constantly getting it tuned.  As well, A front shock on any bike less
than $400-500 is gonna be worthless.  You would be better off buying a nicer
bike without a front shock, and then putting a decent one on later when you
feel you need it.

If you honestly feel that you are gonna ride this bike off-road, and you
will get your money's worth, take my advice and spend at least $700-1000.
You will save money in the long run and have a much nicer riding bike.

// Mike Eynon
// Chief Technology Officer
// OnTh Wireless
// "The Wireless Database Company"