Re: Three Runs in the Bay Area?

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Three Runs in the Bay Area?
From: Jeremy Bergsman <jeremybb@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 13:31:23 -0700
"Kelly, Katie" wrote:

> As I'm sure most of us are aware, the event didn't end until 7:45. The big
> inner-debate of co-chair Keith Hearn was which would make less people angry:
> three runs only or running 'til eight?

I didn't want to bring it up since it seemed likely to inflame things but
since you did....

I was angry when I heard the announcement, but after cooling off I accepted
it as the right decision.  I'm sure it was a hard decision to make.  I guess
the real question is how can we hasten things so that such a decision
doesn't have to be made again.  I think the first thing I'll do is stop
bringing new people!

While hanging out on Saturday 2 ideas occured to me.  I don't know if
they're any good or not but I'll throw them out for target practice.

1) Considering beginner orientation as well as rapid throughput maybe
instead of having beginners wander into events lost there could be some kind
of mandatory separate orientation for them.  Topics covered would include
the spiel usually given at the drivers' meeting twice each day, as well as
how to sign up, what to bring, and how to perform the various work
assignments.  This way the event chairs would spend less time directing
newbies around, who would in turn probably be more helpful.  Obviously a big
disadvantage to this idea is the need to run a seperate orientation meeting,
but it might actually reduce the intimidation factor for newbies to have
something labelled as being for them.  Or looked at another way, the
inconvenience factor could be used to limit the number of newbies, if that's
your bent.

2) Number the flag stations and have people (sign up for)/(be assigned to)
particular ones.  I think that people could get themselves out on the
course a lot faster if they knew where to go.  It can be hard to tell
who has been replaced and who hasn't.  This might also help with radio
communication.  Some cones of another color and numbers on them would
designate the stations and if put in numerical order around the course
they would be fairly easy to locate.
--
Jeremy Bergsman
jeremybb@stanford.edu