Re: best line

To: Jerry Mouton <jerry@moutons.org>
Subject: Re: best line
From: Pat Kelly <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 19:43:20 -0700
John and I have been discussing this article quite a bit, but I really can't
because I stopped reading it at the slalom part, like Jesse. :-)
    I've found most drivers who have done some other sport where they must look
ahead in order to do well will do just fine autocrossing. John used to
rollerskate as a youth; I skied. Both require the same thing: looking ahead.
The rest falls into place. Several drivers rode motorcycles, or rode
horses...they all work.
    The next part is learning to feel the car and what it's telling you. Is it
on the limit? Can you pull a corner faster? Go deeper into the corner?
    Only seat time will teach the rest, until it comes naturally, like walking.
Does anyone plan where every footfall will land? Or do they look at where
they're going and their feet get them there?
--Pat Kelly