RE: best line

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: best line
From: David Peterson <peterson@ati.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 08:45:32 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Mouton

>> The one tip to the contrary I have gotten and that seems to work
>> for me is that for turns of > 90 degrees, hug the inside rather than
>> worrying about a line (The Michelle Reitmeir Rule) which you
>> have to apply selectively ;-)

        And to counter that - watching and learning once from Josh, keep
wide which keeps the R's up, which keeps the T or the P up (let's not
get into that discussion again), which is VERY important in a car like
the Ghia. But we can't all drive Karmann Ghias can we! ;^)

        I remember when Shawna Barlette was driving the Ghia at a McClellan
enduro some time ago. Her first lap or so she took this one long turn really
tight. I'd been running it wide. I told her to try it wide, and I think we
were both amazed at how much more power the car could develop on that wider
line. Wether that resulted in an actual smaller time, I couldn't tell ya'.

        Pinching the Ghia off wastes precious hp on friction. I avoid it
whenever possible.

        That's one of the things I like about 4 runs. It gives me a little
chance to experiment. There is no one answer. You gotta' get out there and
try things. No two courses are ever the same. Even if they look that way.