Re: GH's Question on Street Tires for Stock

To: jdmurphy47@aol.com
Subject: Re: GH's Question on Street Tires for Stock
From: Mark Hirt <mark.hirt@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:39:44 -0600
jdmurphy47@aol.com wrote:
> 1. I have heard that Fedral tire regulations may tighten down
> on this wear rating.  It can always be increased.

Starting in 2007 all tires need to pass the "Ford Exploder test" (A
longer, tougher DOT certification test, thanks you FORD) I don't
remember anything about treadwear rating changing besides it's a
meaningless number now and will probably remain that way.

> 2. I have been told by the ST drivers that their tires last longer
> than the Kumhos so your cost per run goes down.

That is also true if one runs Falkens vs Bridgestones or BFG's. Cost
cannot be brought into this discussion. The change your hoping for will
actually cost the drivers of cars with larger tires MORE money, yes R
compounds are cheaper in some sizes and when "shaved to 2/32" they last
about as long.

--

Regards,

Mark Hirt

http:///home.comcast.net/~mark.hirt/
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.