Re: [evolution-disc.] Ft Myers protests

To: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@netins.net>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Ft Myers protests
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 23:16:37 -0500
I think the protest was to get the National office to (re)focus on speed
creep. It was extreme, but sometimes National is slow to react, so you take
out a BF hammer to get attention.

As Mike Shields mentioned, we have to address total speed at Devens. The
course designs do meet that need and are still fun. It can be done.

I just posted this on the sccaforums a moment ago:
A protest in a Solo/autocross environment is the only way we can police
ourselves. It is NOT wrong to protest someone for a valid reason (okay,
maybe not during the 2001 Nationals). People have protested themselves in
order to create the need to address a problem with a car, classing, or even
course design. People protest timing. They also take a provisional run
incase the protest is upheld. It is all part of the process.

I also posted this:
I seem to remember the '04 Tour there were concerns with the "return"
section of the course for Sunday. Sammy Strano and Tasha were checking the
course (Sammy watching while Tasha ran certain sections). I and another
competitor pointed one section that could be quite fast. Sammy & Tasha
looked at it and agreed. They then changed the section to slow things down.
The change did slow it down, and made it very challenging. The event chief
was very upset that the pre-designed course was modified. So much so, I
think it was one of the reasons that there was not a Tour there in '05.
As a SSS I felt I needed to point it out to Sammy & Tasha (I was not
designated as a SSS for the event). I was pleased that a change was done and
it was an effective modification.

Des Moines? Is that anywhere near Nebraska where the Powerball ticket was
sold? :^)

Matt Murray