RE: DOT Race Tires may become illegal

To: Eric Salem <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Subject: RE: DOT Race Tires may become illegal
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 20:49:19 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 28 May 2002, Eric Salem wrote:

> We have a local competitor that used to carry race tires in her C5
> 'vette. One sees a LOT of miata's with trailers. Local FS icon Don Knopp
> ALWAYS carries his race tires in his Camaro.

Eric, do you HAVE a point to make, or are you just sniping at me for some
reason?

I've carried tires in a C5 coupe.  It was almost impossible, and there was
no room for jacks or other equipment, and it was a hazard on the road.  I
don't think it is possible with a Z06, wider wheels and hardtop.  I've
driven to Topeka with four tires and gear in a Camaro; it was a major PITA
as I said.  I cannot store a trailer of any kind at an apartment complex.

The points I made illustrated the ADDITIONAL barrier to Solo II
competition that permitting non-DOT tires makes.  Please address yourself
to those points.  If you're saying that strapping wheels to car roofs and
other contrivances is a reasonable method and not an additional barrier,
just say so and knock off the ad hominem stuff.

KeS