Re: DOT Race Tires may become illegal

To: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Subject: Re: DOT Race Tires may become illegal
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 19:02:11 -0400
At 01:13 PM 5/28/2002 -0700, Kevin Stevens wrote:
>On Thu, 23 May 2002, Mark J. Andy wrote:
>
> > Other than availability in currently popular street sizes, how would
> > allowing slicks be VERY bad?
> >
> > Mark
>
>If I can't legally drive to the event on my racing tires, I'm not coming.
>Ever.
>
>KeS

Kevin,

Just wondering.

Does your definition of legal include at least 2/32 of tread depth (across
the whole tire) still remaining (after an event a long way from home where
you got more runs than planned on a more abrasive than you expected
surface) on your otherwise DOT legal REAL street tires that work their
absolute best (in the dry) as close to bald as possible?

I used to drive in Stock and Street Prepared on REAL (bald) STREET tires
before R compound tires. I used to buy takeoff (from Mercedes, Porsche,
etc.) Michelin XWX's ($150 each in the late 1970's) that were close to bald
to get great tires at an almost free price. Tried really hard to never have
to drive on them in the rain.

Dick (no dog in this fight) Rasmussen
CM 85