Re: DOT Race Tires may become illegal

To: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: DOT Race Tires may become illegal
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 18:44:43 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 28 May 2002, Dick Rasmussen wrote:

> At 01:13 PM 5/28/2002 -0700, Kevin Stevens wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> Just wondering.
>
> Does your definition of legal include at least 2/32 of tread depth (across
> the whole tire) still remaining (after an event a long way from home where
> you got more runs than planned on a more abrasive than you expected
> surface) on your otherwise DOT legal REAL street tires that work their
> absolute best (in the dry) as close to bald as possible?

Notionally, yes.  I've violated that once in several hundred times,
however.  That includes both "real" street tires and R tires, and was a
Kumho?  no, a Yokohama tire that corded unexpectedly.

> I used to drive in Stock and Street Prepared on REAL (bald) STREET tires
> before R compound tires. I used to buy takeoff (from Mercedes, Porsche,
> etc.) Michelin XWX's ($150 each in the late 1970's) that were close to bald
> to get great tires at an almost free price. Tried really hard to never have
> to drive on them in the rain.

Many street tires now (don't know about then) do have an underlying
compound at the 2/32" mark that is much harder and very slippery (from a
racing perspective), so it doesn't pay to go below that anyway.

KeS