Re: DOT Race Tires may become illegal

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: DOT Race Tires may become illegal
From: Buddy Ahlers <buddy_ahlers@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 10:58:27 -0700 (PDT)
Just playing a bit of a devil's advocate here, but if
you are comparing the production road racing classes
to Solo II racing, I think it is a flawed argument.

There is no "speed limit" in road racing.  I've never
seen any rules or definitions that describe road
racing as (per my old 1999 solo rulebook)  "a
non-speed driving skill contest where the hazards to
spectators, participants, and property do not exceed
those encountered in normal, legal highway driving."

Your argument that says we will fall down the slippery
slope of allowing more modifications in the name of
safety should not exist if we remember that what we do
is in fact NOT racing...For all intents and purposes
there is a speed limit to what we do.

If the courses are designed properly, and the speeds
remain at a reasonably low level as they are supposed
to according to the definition of a solo II event,
then the slippery slope you are afraid we will fall
down does not exist.

Buddy.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com