Re: DOT Race Tires may become illegal

Subject: Re: DOT Race Tires may become illegal
From: Randy Noll <rnoll98@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:01:00 -0700 (PDT)
Sway bars, shocks, ride heights, now tires. There's just constantly
been a voice in the back of my head:

Spec Classes

Look what spec miata has done for road racing. It seems to have opened
up the door for a ton of budget minded people to be able to race a
fully prepared, safe, and competitive car. We could easily make a
spec-z06 class and a spec-MR2 class and probably only lose 5-10% of the
members from each class (e.g. their cars would have to be classed
elsewhere).

The Z06 class might not make much sense (the cars are relatively
expensive to start with), but a spec-MR2 class, spec-Miata class,
and/or spec-[insert popular inexpensive FWD car here] class would be an
instant success. Low budget, fun cars, and the best driver wins. Of
course there goes 90% of our excuses too. "Well he spent $6k on shocks
and that's the ONLY reason he was 2 seconds ahead of me..."

This club has an incredible amount of "I already spent a load of money
on my car and I ain't gonna change it", which is totally
understandable. But at the same time we're creating huge barriers to
entry for new drivers to run nationally competitive cars.

Why not bring spec-miata straight over from road racing, roll bars and
all? It'll bring back all the 1st gen miatas that more or less fell off
when the MR2 started to be the car of choice. It solves some people's
problem of "I want a competitive autox car and road race car." It will
help bridge the gap between autocrossers and road racers (I know, we
think they're evil :P).

But Randy, we don't need another class! Then why the heck are we
creating SM2? We've got enough classes where you need to spend over
$40k to be competitive. Bring spec-miata over. I'd bet the first year
we'd have at least 30 cars at nationals.

Randy N
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com