Re: A "central" location (was Re: SCCA national office move)

To: "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A "central" location (was Re: SCCA national office move)
From: "Alan Pozner" <apozner@ptd.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 16:14:06 -0400
Rocky wrote in part:

> IMHO, the reasoning of basing a "central" location based on population is
> flawed....

Follow my reasoning here for a minute:

1) The club tries to operate as a democracy
2) A democracy attempts to do the most good for the most people
3) The most good would be to drive the fewest possible miles to Nats
4) All other things being equal -Nats should be placed so that the total
mileage of all those who attend is the least.

Now where is that place? First off does anyone have any geographical
statistics on who attends nationals? I would wager that they do not mimic
the population density of the US as a whole.

My answer is I don't have enough information to make a valid judgement.
Those that do please divulge the information.

To add more fuel to the fire I will state that a West coast mile does not
equal an East coast one. It is far shorter! Why? Speed limits are higher out
west; traffic is lower (once you get away from LA and SF ); roads are better
( wider, smoother ). You can more easily travel 1000 miles in 24 hrs from SF
to Topeka than from NYC to Topeka. This is based on 10 years of
over-the-road 48 state truck driving.

Regards,
Alan