Re: A "central" location (was Re: SCCA national office move)

To: "Alan Pozner" <apozner@ptd.net>, "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A "central" location (was Re: SCCA national office move)
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 16:46:59 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Pozner <apozner@ptd.net>
To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Thursday, August 16, 2001 3:15 PM

>Rocky wrote in part:
>
>> IMHO, the reasoning of basing a "central" location based on population is
>> flawed....
>
>Follow my reasoning here for a minute:
>
>1) The club tries to operate as a democracy

Okay

>2) A democracy attempts to do the most good for the most people

Okay

>3) The most good would be to drive the fewest possible miles to Nats

Okay .. on an individual basis. If they guy from Boston and the guy from La
Jolla drive the same distance, each is driving the fewest possible. If the
guy from Boston goes 1000 and the guy from LaJolla is doing 3000, the guy
from LaJolla is not driving the fewest possible. And the guy from Boston
finds himself there by himself.

>4) All other things being equal -Nats should be placed so that the total
>mileage of all those who attend is the least.

Not. Total mileage is irrelevant. Individual mileage is what will make the
difference to each individual person. And that would not be democracy at
work, but tyrrany of the majority.

>To add more fuel to the fire I will state that a West coast mile does not
>equal an East coast one. It is far shorter! Why? Speed limits are higher
out
>west; traffic is lower (once you get away from LA and SF ); roads are
better
>( wider, smoother ). You can more easily travel 1000 miles in 24 hrs from
SF
>to Topeka than from NYC to Topeka. This is based on 10 years of
>over-the-road 48 state truck driving.

I'm no trucker, but I've driven enough to both coasts to recognize some
validity in that statement. It is not so valid, however, as to occasion a
major shift in our "center." And FWIW, the geographic center of the USA
(lower 48) is in Smith County, Kansas, or a couple hundred miles west of
Topeka. So the site is already a shade east of center -- about 10 percent of
that mythical 2000-mile number we keep throwing out -- probably just about
enough to work in that difference between a west coast mile and and east
coast mile.

>Regards,
>Alan

Cordially