RE: Brake Pads

To: "'Justin Malinosky'" <justin@mind4.mindsync.com>
Subject: RE: Brake Pads
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 13:02:37 -0400
I occasionally get a squeal when the brakes are NOT applied. I yanked the
wheel and could see that the outside shim had twisted. When I took it apart
I saw that the bendable tangs on the shim that go around the pad had
flattened out and the shim had moved. I rebent the tangs and applied the
blue brake goo between the shims and pads and reassembled. That shut them up
until after the next auto-x. Same thing had happened again. I postulate that
under severe repeated braking I am heating the brake goo and twisting the
shims around the pads. The squeal is not annoying enough to fix now that I
know that its not causing any damage. I don't know if the pad material is
responsible for this or whether the shim tangs should be stronger.

Regards,
Alan