Re: [6pack] measuring engine improvements

To: 6pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] measuring engine improvements
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:32:16 +0000
Here are my costs just for the machine shop work (no parts included) and the
only head work that was done was milling for the CR, valve seats re-cut and
installing new guides. If I had gone the whole way with porting the head that
would have added another $600 to $800 I'm guessing.

Description                     Cost

Spray wash head                $25.00
Bead blast head                $35.00
Wet mag head                    $45.00
Surface head                    $150.00
Install and hone valve guide ID $144.00
Machine valve seats             $108.00
Spray was block                 $85.00
Wet mag block                   $75.00
Surface block .012              $135.00
recut fire ring grooves         $150.00
line bore cam line              $450.00
install cam bearings            $75.00
bore and hone block +.020       $190.00
install pistons on con rods     $66.00
regrind crankshaft .010 under   $150.00
balance 6 cyl assembly          $280.00
inspect lifter bores            $37.50
resurface flywheel              $55.00

                Total $2,255.50

So with the  extra head work, up to $3000 plus your preferred parts (cam,
pistons, bearings, induction, exhaust, timing gear, rocker gear, gaskets,
seals, consumables etc) will give you a good approximation for a hot street
car good to 5500 rpm

I never added up the entire cost for my project (weak heart, cant take the
risk) but it has to be between $8k and $10k for what I'm hoping is a 150HP
engine, 130hp at the wheels. $3k of that was the roller rockers and the Webers
which are arguably an unnecessary expense and could be eliminated or deferred
and a cheaper solution used like the GP triple Stromberg conversion. The spit
bearings were also not required for this level of tune and that cost could be
eliminated assuming your cam bearing surfaces are in good shape.

Bob Lang and I took the motor apart and re-assembled it and the parts were
delivered to the machine shop ready to be processed so no additional labor
costs for grunt work.

You can see why some people look at other options like a short block chevy.

Stan

[sorry, stripped earlier context in the hope that this makes it through the
autox mailer intact]