[6pack] measuring engine improvements

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] measuring engine improvements
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:10:31 -0700 (PDT)
My car is running just fine, but I not one to leave well enough alone. I know
many on the list have improved their engines. My goal is to improve
performance up to 5000 RPM. I'm leaning toward the Goodparts triple carbs (ZS
or HS6), a mild cam, and a compression bump to 9.5:1. The car has a 6-2-1
header feeding into a single 2.25" free flow exhaust. Crane XR700 ingnition,
Lucas Sport Coil, stock dizzy. Would having the head flowed be worthwhile?

Has anyone had his/her car dynoed to measure the performance
of and/or optimize their upgrades?

I know that improvements can "seem" like they help because the car may sound
different or runs more smoothly, but when it is dynoed the gain can be
neglible. Like Kastner said, "Lap time is judge of all modifications." I'm not
looking to race, but it would be preferable to know what really works. Any
tuning hints on ignition and mixture would be helpful, too.

Does anyone know where a copy of Vizard's book can be obtained?

Regards,
Jim