[6pack] measuring engine improvements

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] measuring engine improvements
From: "Campsmith, Michael (CDC/CCID/NCHHSTP)" <mgc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:22:41 -0400
I can only speak for my personal experience, so not sure how
representative results may be.

I have similar modifications to what you describe below, except with a
compression ratio closer to stock (head and block were not milled).
About 9 years ago I had the engine rebuilt to .020 overbore, GP2 cam,
Pertronix electronic ignition, sport coil.  Then about 4 years ago I
added HS6 carbs, dual headers and exhaust(Ansa).  Two years ago I had
the car dynoed and the best runs were 101 HP at the rear wheels and 128
ft-lbs torque (SAE for both measurements).  I kick myself for not having
dyno runs before any modifications other than the rebuild--thus I can't
address any net gains from the modifications.

My goal was to have a very street-able car that I could thrash on the
autocross course every now and then.  So far it has lived up to those
expectations.

I still find the styling of the TR6 quite attractive, but the
performance is strictly mid 20th century.  I doubt there is much to do
about that short of spending for a race motor that you can't live with
on the street.

As always, you mileage may vary.

Michael Campsmith
1974 TR6 (now BRG with half an interior)