[6pack] Engine Progress

To: "Robert Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: [6pack] Engine Progress
From: "John Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:46:50 -0400
I separated the head and short block and brought them to the engine shop. I
finally got a look at things today.

I had everything hot tanked. They have magnafluxed the block, crank and
rods.  Heads (mine + a spare) have been disassembled, hot tanked and bead
blasted. They will be magnafluxed soon.

Pistons seem to have some light scoring/wear on the skirts sides. My thought
is to replace them. Why are forged pistons for the TR6 $150-$200 a piece?
This seems outrageous. County brand seems like a low priced cast
alternative, but worry about going with the low bidder here. What are my
options for cast?

Block is stock bore. They put a light hone on it and are recommending 1st
oversize (0.020"?). Crank journals are stock.  They will polish it and them
make a judgement if we need to go futher.

Cam is the 10-50-50-10 cam.  Lobes look okay but the fuel pump eccentric is
worn.  I am going to replace the cam.

Things are much cleaner.

Next seems to be the rods.  I guess I need new bolts and small end bushes so
they can start.

John Cyg