RE: [6pack] Recommendation for a folding engine crane ?

To: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Recommendation for a folding engine crane ?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:48:44 -0800
        Stan:

        Here is my solution, which may or may not work for you.

        I got a one ton hoist, and 4 feet of suitably rated chain. I
wrapped the chain around the main joist (4x8") in my garage, and place
the hoist on it, then use the hoist to pull the engine and transmission.
It all fits in a box about the size of two shoe boxes when I don't need
it.
        Not only is this half the cost of a crane type engine hoist, the
storage requirements are minimal, and setup is easier than a folding
crane that has heavy steel legs, etc that must be disconnected for
storage.
        This pre-supposes of course that you have a garage with a
suitable joist. While usage is less convenient than a traditional engine
hoist (you must push the car under the hoist, instead of bringing the
hoist to the car, for example) the storage requirements were my biggest
issue, hence my willingness to do things in a less convenient manner.

        Vance