[6pack] Squeaky throw out bearing?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Squeaky throw out bearing?
From: "Campsmith, Michael (CDC/CCID/NCHHSTP)" <mgc4@CDC.GOV>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:29:33 -0500
Fellow listers--

The transmission on my 1974 TR6 was recently serviced and now I have a
noise that wasn't there before.

There is no noise with the clutch either fully disengaged or fully
engaged.  However, the noise--a "squeaking" sound--comes on when I first
depress the clutch pedal, goes away once the clutch pedal is depressed
completely, returns when the clutch is almost fully let out, and is gone
once the clutch is again fully engaged.

The symptoms above make me think it is the throw out bearing.  My
dilemma comes about from not wanting to pay for another transmission
removal and replacement of what was a previously silent bearing. The
entire clutch mechanism and bearing were replaced less then 5k miles
ago--the brand name isn't coming to me but might be in my records.

Any other thoughts on possible sources of the noise, or better yet a
"magic" cure?

As always, your insight is greatly appreciated.

Michael Campsmith
1974 TR6 (now BRG)