RE: [6pack] Recommendation for a folding engine crane ?

To: "Robert N. Clark" <rclark@robertsonclark.com>, <acekraut11@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: [6pack] Recommendation for a folding engine crane ?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:45:50 -0800
        Folks:

        I have the advantage of a neighbor who is a retired architect.
He inspected my joist and said it would support 1,000lb no problem. More
than enough for what I do.
        Some other options that occur to me:

        1. The header that supports the garage door mechanism, is VERY
stout. Typically 4x10". Installing some suitable lag bolts into the
header to secure a mount of some sort and supporting the chain hoist
using a chain threaded between the door and the header will work. This
scheme DOES require that the garage door be open while installing, using
and deinstalling the chain hoist, but it will work.
        2. If your garage is not finished (no sheet rock) then you ought
to be able to find a suitable beam up above the joists (somewhere).
Securing the chain hoist to a beam supporting the roof simply requires a
longer piece of chain from the beam to the hoist.
        3. If your garage is finished, but the attic is easily
accessible (as mine was) then you need only punch a small hole in your
sheet rock to drop the chain through. Hey, it's the garage! Sheet rock
was MADE to be beat up in the garage. In mine at least. And only when
the wife is not looking. "But honeeeey! You don't need to look at the
hole. And I promise I will repair the hole when the car is finished
<nose growing noticeably longer>".

        Vance