TR6 Crankshaft End Play/Thrust Washers

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Crankshaft End Play/Thrust Washers
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 19:13:59 -0400
Hello everyone,

I've removed the pan and rear main bearing to adjust the crankshaft end
float as it was excessive.  I've got a selection of replacement washers
and found 2 that put the float within spec, .007".  So I put some
assembly lube on them and the bearing in the cap, reinstalled the end
cap, torqued it down and just for grins, checked the float again.

It now reads .010".  Spec according to Bentley is .006-.008".

Both times the measurement was taken with dial indicator.  Movement of
the crank was via a big screwdriver between the crank and a journal.
What gives?

What's the collective thoughts from the list members?

TIA,

Gary
'75  TR6
Digest