Re: TR6 Crankshaft End Play/Thrust Washers

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Crankshaft End Play/Thrust Washers
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 21:37:24 -0400
Thanks Dick, now here's the rest of the story.

My engine was completely overhauled 2700 miles ago.  The thrust washers were
put incorrectly and when I set the end float, whilst on the engine stand, I
measured .004" and thought that a little tighter was OK as it would wear in,
......right?

Well, we had a club tech session at my house this past weekend and I thought
it would be good to see how much I had while we were all at it.  I thought I
would be OK but as it turns out, I had .040".  Disassembly showed the rear
thrust washer was just about down to the base metal and it appeared to have
been hot on the top edge (metal discoloration).  Some "pot" metal was
present in the channel when I took it out.

Currently, the crank's rear thrust bearing face is not completely flat as it
turns out.  (The front face is fine.) It has a very slight ridge in the
middle, perhaps 2-3 thou. and a llip on the outer edge, I'd say about 3-4
thou.  Discussion with a club mechanic yielded that the outer ridge was
probably not going to matter as the thrust washer stays down and doesn't
ride up on the crank..  He thought that my initial set up was too tight,
hence the overheating and failure.  (I used assembly lube at that time
too.)  So when I got the .007" earlier tonight, I thought I was set fine.

So, no, Dick, it's not buttoned up yet.  I used a micronometer on the thrust
washers to get the gap I thought I wanted.  Can't explain what happened
after retorquing the rear main.

I've got another washer combination whereby I can get it down about .005
before retorquing the cap.  Maybe afterwards it will be within spec.  Think
this would be OK?

Ya know Dick, this may be related to that "squeal" we discussed a few months
ago when exchanged emails on the Toyota throwout bearing.  If you'll recall,
mine squealed whenever I wasn't on the clutch and that lasted from about 400
miles up to about 700 miles.

Thoughts appreciated,

Gary Klein