Re: TR6 Crankshaft End Play/Thrust Washers

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, 6pack
Subject: Re: TR6 Crankshaft End Play/Thrust Washers
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 08:31:52 -0400
See Below.

Sally or Dick Taylor wrote:

> Gary---First, on the old squeal-- yes. I would think that the
> combination of a worn thrust washer against an irregular crank face
> could produce a squeal when the clutch is being depressed.

The squeal only occurred when OFF the clutch.

> Or even more
> so with the clutch engaged, if the washers weren't holding oil or had no
> working space at all. You didn't say how the thrust washer(s) were
> improperly installed during overhaul, but my guess is that it wasn't the
> .004 clearance that caused the problem, but the possibility that the
> rear washer was installed backwards.

Washers were installed correctly from the start.  What I can't remember is
whether the thrust washer surface was smooth to begin with.  Don't remember
looking/checking whether the machine shop redid that surface.  Took the
mains down .010 though.

> As mentioned in an earlier reply
> to you, I run with even less clearance than you tried, and didn't have
> the accelerated wear or squeal here.
>
> Since it appears the crank face now doesn't match the surface of any new
> thrust washer, the best thing to do now is to somehow clean up the
> crank. A shop that specializes in crank grinds probably would be able to
> restore the surface. Then you could use an oversize 'washer to reset the
> clearance.

That's what I think I should do, too.  Can this be done in the car or are we
talking a total disassembly here?  Opps, you answered it below.

> Is the block OK in this area?

Block's fine.  No signs of wear from "lack" of thrust washers in the past.

> If taking out the crank is unappealing at this time, you could try
> cleaning everything up as best possible with a good file and Emery
> cloth, then leave the clearance around .008.  Not the best solution by
> any stretch, but you could get the car back on the road, if this is
> important.  Then check the back and forth regularly.

Yeah, at the moment it's unappealing.  Had already thought of the
file./emory path and guess it's worth a try.  If I can get a couple seasons
out of it, 5000 miles, then I'd be in a better position to tear it all apart
again.

Thanks, Dick,

Gary Klein