Re: TR6 Crankshaft End Play/Thrust Washers

To: gklein@toad.net (Gary & Priscilla Klein)
Subject: Re: TR6 Crankshaft End Play/Thrust Washers
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 17:25:18 -0700 (PDT)
Gary---If you have the engine already buttoned up, the .010 float is OK.
But the more float you have, the sooner it will grow.  I can't explain
why you picked up the .003. Adding the assy. lube should have lessened
the clearance, if only by a little.   If it were my engine I would do
what's necessary to get the clearance down to .005 or even less. (Mine's
at .003 and has been for years)  Mixing and matching the available
washers, as you know, is the key to coming up with the end clearance
that you want. You might have to get one washer that's too thick, and
grind down the non-action side to achieve this clearance.

Thrust washers is the topic of many conversations among TR owners. Some
have even gone so far as to use exotic materials to keep these from
disintegrating. I have found it to be a non-isssue with my motor. I took
the advise of long-time TRiumph guru, Len Renkenburger, who said
.006-.008 is too much clearance and permits the crankshaft to hammer
back and forth. I believe this to be true, and have proof of it in the
longivity of my own thrust washers.

For those not familiar with this repair, it's really a simple one. Just
be sure that the oil grooves in each washer go towards the rotating part
of the crankshaft.

Starting the engine with the transmission in neutral (with the clutch
engaged) takes the load off the thrust side of the washer long enough
for fresh motor oil to reach this area, adding to washer life.

Dick Taylor

tick tock, Berry?