Re: Alternator Installation

To: CLCSF@aol.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Alternator Installation
From: JWoesvra <JWoesvra@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 19:47:44 EST
Any small Japanese alternater with an internal regulator will work as a one-
wire. The hardest part is finding one that fits your location best. Sometimes
you have to be a little creative with the mounting. The one I use most on our
Mini's has a PEP BOYS part # 14820-34. It is a Nippon Denso unit.

To make it work as a one-wire, all you have to do is jumper between the field
terminal and the B+ terminal. You must have a switch in this jumper to cut off
the field when the motor isn't running, or your battery will discharge. The
switch is nice to have if you don't want to use the atlernator all the time.
Try it. It's a lot easier than folks will let you believe. You can even get a
junk yard unit if you're real cheap.

I paid $300 for my first one-wire and all it was is one of these that had been
rewired internally. They have an electronic switch that cuts of the field
automatically. Who needs it?

BTW. There is also a real good starter that fits most Lucas applications. It
has PEP BOYS part # 16878-01 and is for the Isuzu Trooper. It has a 5"
mounting circle just like Sprites and Spitfires have. I'm told it fits a lot
of Brit stuff including some Jags. For a Mini, you have to elongate the
mounting holes a little bit, because the Mini has a 4 1/2" circle. Sure beats
a Tilton for $200 plus.

Good luck,

Jack Woehrle