Re: Still not running well

To: <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Subject: Re: Still not running well
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@home.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 23:05:41 -0500
If the fuel delivery is in question, one can temporarily attach a rubber
fuel hose to the output of the fuel pump and watch how fast the pump can
empty into a jug. The pump should tick like crazy and the fuel should gush
out quite rapidly. The quarts per minute is spec'd in the shop manual. This
test will quickly eliminate the in-tank screen and fuel line, if they are
OK. You don't want to mess with these two items, if you don't have to.

Another good test is to simply push the little plunger on top of the carb
fuel bowls. A somewhat slower regular tick should emanate from the pump. If
one bowl clicks slower than the other, there is probably a local obstruction
in the inlet of that particular bowl. Don't hold the plunger down too long
or the fuel will overflow.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@home.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470