Re: Still not running well

To: "Dr. Moyce" <amoyce@pol.net>
Subject: Re: Still not running well
From: "MGNUT" <btsmith@island.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 14:10:29 -0800
Andy

I have been following your troubles for the last little while and was
pleased to read that things were looking up....until the end of the story.
You have had many very knowledgable people giving you help and it looks like
you are now close. The one thing I haven't heard is anything about the coil.
This is a long shot but if the car is running great now and then suddenly
stops and will not startup right away, but will start and run again after a
little cool down, the next time this happens check the coil. A member of our
local club had a similar problem and when we checked the coil it was VERY
warm, a new coil fixed his problem. I had a similar problem with an old MGA
as well, everyone diagnosed it as a fuel problem or perhaps the ignition
switch. After much fiddling I happened to knock the coil wire and the car
started. It was an old coil with the screw on terminal and I had not
fastened the wire to the distributor cap in properly, cheap fix for an
annoying problem.

Brian
1950 MGTD
1959 MGA Coupe
1974 MGB GT (daily driver...yes even in the snow)