Valve Cover Cap

To: MG T Digest <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve Cover Cap
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 14:45:48 -0400
I'm looking for the voice of experience. The scenario is this:

I filled up the engine sump with oil just before I left and put on the
valve cover cap (I know this is fact). I drove 75 miles to Tampa to an
all British Car Show car show.

At the show I had both halves of the bonnet raised so viewers/judges
could observe the engine compartment. I didn't observe anything was
missing; but then, I wasn't suspicious.

After the show, I closed the bonnet and drove home at a steady 65 mph
(3250 rpm). No noticeable smell of oil burning.

This morning I raised the bonnet on the left side. I noticed two VERY
small "runs" or trickle of oil on the underside. I immediately noticed
the cap to the valve cover was missing!

Further inspection showed a slight (not heavy) mist of oil on the battery.

My question is this. How much oil would bounce/spray out of the valve
cover filler opening when the engine is running? Since I see very light
evidence of oil external to the cover, I am thinking that the cap must
have come off just before I arrived home. However, perhaps my thinking
is wrong. Maybe not much oil would spray out in any situation. I don't
know. If very little oil would spray out during the 75 mile ride home,
then that would mean my search for the cap would be in vain. I have
already search the road traveled for a distance of 4 miles.

Has anyone driven any distance with the valve cap off? What was the
effect over what period of time.  The filler hole on my valve cover is
about 2.5 inches in diameter and is raised about half an inch from the surface.

Stu Keen
Venice, FL
51 MGTD MkII