Re: Valve Cover Cap

To: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Subject: Re: Valve Cover Cap
From: Geoff Love <engconn@f-tech.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:33:41 -0400
--------------4C855DE6536FCCBB6D7979B8

Stuart Keen wrote:

> I'm looking for the voice of experience. The scenario is this:
>
> I filled up the engine sump with oil just before I left and put on the
> valve cover cap (I know this is fact). I drove 75 miles to Tampa to an
> all British Car Show car show.
>
> At the show I had both halves of the bonnet raised so viewers/judges
> could observe the engine compartment. I didn't observe anything was
> missing; but then, I wasn't suspicious.
>
> After the show, I closed the bonnet and drove home at a steady 65 mph
> (3250 rpm). No noticeable smell of oil burning.
>
> This morning I raised the bonnet on the left side. I noticed two VERY
> small "runs" or trickle of oil on the underside. I immediately noticed
> the cap to the valve cover was missing!
>
> Further inspection showed a slight (not heavy) mist of oil on the battery.
>
> My question is this. How much oil would bounce/spray out of the valve
> cover filler opening when the engine is running? Since I see very light
> evidence of oil external to the cover, I am thinking that the cap must
> have come off just before I arrived home. However, perhaps my thinking
> is wrong. Maybe not much oil would spray out in any situation. I don't
> know. If very little oil would spray out during the 75 mile ride home,
> then that would mean my search for the cap would be in vain. I have
> already search the road traveled for a distance of 4 miles.
>
> Has anyone driven any distance with the valve cap off? What was the
> effect over what period of time.  The filler hole on my valve cover is
> about 2.5 inches in diameter and is raised about half an inch from the
>surface.
>
> Stu Keen
> Venice, FL
> 51 MGTD MkII

I agree with the two others who suggested a lot of oil

I did an oil change on my TD some years ago, and must have been distracted
before
fitting the filler cap, as I drove about four miles without it in place.  It
came
to my attention I was leaving a cloud of blue smoke behind me and, upon
investigating, discovered the cap dangling from it's attachment chain.  The
engine
compartment was covered in 20W50, and I had lost about a quart.

I think if you drove the distance you did without a cap, you would have had a
very
big problem as a great deal of oil would have blown out, possibly resulting in
engine damage.  On the other hand, I am also sure you would have noticed it long
before then.

Geoff Love.

--------------4C855DE6536FCCBB6D7979B8
 name="engconn.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Love;Geoffrey E.
tel;fax:as above
tel;home:570 739 3340
tel;work:570 739 3340
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:The English Connection
adr:;;P. O. Box 133;Friedensburg;Pa.;17933;
version:2.1
email;internet:engconn@f-tech.net
title:Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
note:Restorer of British Motor Cars