Re: How much Coolant?

To: Wiedemeyer <boxweed@thebest.net>
Subject: Re: How much Coolant?
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 22:01:03 -0400
Please don't blame me for 'flogging a dead horse' but I'd just like to let you
know how I came about deciding to add the coolant overflow tank.  My TD is an
early 52 (TD10855), i.e., before temperature gauges were standard equipment.  To
have an idea of what was going on in the coolant department I drilled a hole in
a radiator cap and installed a Motometer, as did many before me.  After a while
I discovered a funny thing about the Motometer, it becomes very inaccurate,
indeed almost useless, when its tube is not immersed in coolant.  This led me to
a never ending battle to keep topping up the radiator.

     Shortly thereafter, I had Rick Smith install set of 4.3 gears in the
differential and I set off on a trip from home (Plymouth, Mass.) to Abingdon
Spares in Walpole NH. When I got to Gerry's I discovered that the louvers of the
bonnet and the tops of the fenders were a mess from coolant.  At decent cruising
speeds the outlet of the overflow pipe is in a low pressure area that leads
through the engine compartment and the louvers.  This led to the decision to
find a way for best of both worlds, no coolant loss and no mess.  That's what
led me to the MGB overflow tank.

      BTW, I have since installed a combo gauge, but I've kept the overflow
tank.  Last month's trip to Rochester was accomplished without losing a single
drop of coolant.  IMHO, the coolant loss through the overflow tube is do to the
location of the top of the tube relative to the flow of coolant into the
radiator from the water pump and has nothing to do with hard braking.

--
Bud Krueger
http://home.ici.net/~bkrueger/