Re: Newbie

To: "Arthur" <maybee@zebra.net>,
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 19:08:18 -0500
Arthur,

Chrome plating is more than having the right chemicals and anodes. It
requires extensive polishing and possibly silver soldering to fill in the
pits and give a uniform surface. It's a lot harder than you may think. For
chrome to look shiny and reflective the surface must be perfectly smooth w/o
irregular valleys. The cost of a large buffer and wheels probably cost 1K.
6" buffers will not do, nor 8" wheels. You need large 14" wheels or so and
generally quite wide (3-4") to get a good surface finish and the surface
speed to cut the copper. Buffing is an art.

Additionally the fumes are hazardous as are the chemicals. Disposing of the
used chemistry also presents problems which is why in some areas of the
country, platers are rare.

Moreover that kit can't be used to plate bumpers and other large objects. I
don't have to look at the web site to know that. Although the rectifiers may
be able to nickel and copper plate the object, it won't have enough juice to
chrome plate as chrome requires mucho juice.

The rectifiers alone to chrome plate a fairly large part cost way more than
1500.

With the 1500 kit you could probably plate the smaller parts like tailights,
headlight scoops, mirrors and other parts, but even the grill may provide a
problem. I have bought materials from Caswell in the past but after doing
research on plating came to the conclusion that their chrome kits are barely
adequit. They would be good for zinc plating which requires smaller
rectifiers or copper plating.

It's the labor not the price of the chemicals, anodes etc. which causes
plating to be so expensive. Who's gonna give their labor away for free or
cheap?

Save your money and have it replated professionally as in the long run it's
cheaper and where you gonna store all those vats of chemicals?

Good intention though and I thought of doing the same until I went into a
plating shop and saw the equipment they had.

Mike

PS - Buffing is real messy too. Dust flies everywhere especially up your
nose :(