Re: List subjects

To: "Fred L. Coover" <flc@CooverLaw.com>,
Subject: Re: List subjects
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 22:52:15 -0800
The thing that I like about this list is that it is like having a bunch of
friends over. We mostly talk cars, but we also tell jokes, share personal
experiences, etc. Occasionally there are disagreements, too. But we always
come back to our common interest, which is roadsters. I'd hate to see this
turn into a moderated list with some anal-retentive in charge who wouldn't
post anything that wasn't strictly roadster-technical-related. It wouldn't
feel like family any more.

Maybe it's because I know a lot of these people personally. Tom Walter,
Van, Michael Carion, Ross Mullen, Les Canaday, Ronnie Day, Stan Chernoff,
Fred Katz - the list goes on and on. I've spent time with all of them. And
talking with (or just listening to) them on this list is just like being
there.

None of us get paid for answering these emails. If these people who have
been complaining to you want free technical research, then they better not
diss us when we carry on an occasional side conversation. I don't mean to
be rude, but if all they want is our hard-earned technical information, let
them call up the vendors and pay them for their time. Or start up a
newsgroup.

But go back and read Tom Phelan's account of driving coast-to-coast. Or
Michael Carion's trip across the southwest. Do you think members of a
newsgroup would come help you out like those people did? Not even.

This list has a tremendous sense of community. That's what makes it
special. I'd like it to stay that way. If that isn't what some people are
looking for, that's okay. Nobody's forcing them to stay.

--
Gordon Glasgow
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org