Re: 1966 -1967 low windshield restoration HELP

To: "Fred L. Coover" <flc@CooverLaw.com>,
Subject: Re: 1966 -1967 low windshield restoration HELP
From: "Fred Katz" <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 21:58:38 -0800
Hi,

I recently did a U20 conversion to my '66 roadster. The inner fender needed
clearance for the stock U20 SU air cleaner housing. It's very easy to
hammer out a pocket, using body hammers and dollys, and didn't take long at
all. No need to cut the inner fender, unless you're using non-ordinary air
filter assemblies.

I took the transmission bracket that bolts to the X-member of the frame,
and cut off the lower half. Then bolted it at the lower frame-holes using
the remaining top bracket holes. The holes on top of the bracket were off,
so I drilled new ones to match the trans holes.

Easy items - cutting the shifter hole on the tunnel (necessary for the
'66), and the tunnel brace.

The only major problem I encountered in the swap, was in creating a pocket
for the 5-speed trans speedo cable connection. The floorboard sheet metal
is thick and difficult to work with, as it is at the bend between the
tunnel and the passenger floor.

Fred Katz - So.SF

----------
> From: Fred L. Coover <flc@CooverLaw.com>
> To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
> Subject: 1966 -1967 low windshield restoration HELP
> Date: Thursday, February 24, 2000 7:42 PM

<snip>
> Is there an alternative to cutting the inner fender to clear the stock
> U20 air cleaner if I go that route? Doesn't the rear transmission
> bracket bolt bolt to the frame at a different point on the 5sp than the
> 4 sp??  If so, what is the best way to accomplish this.  I seem to
> remember having the darn thing welded to the frame 24 years ago!!! That
> can't be the best way.
>
> Does anyone fabricate any sheet metal to create a "pocket" for the U20
> intake/air cleaner in an earlier Roadster??
<snip>