Re: weight distributing hitches

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: weight distributing hitches
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:52:06 -0600
>I  have the newest Draw-Tite controller. It is less than a year old.
>There is
>a control on it to set the braking current and a display to tell you what
>it is
>set to.  My understanding is that the pendalum was a thing of the past, as is
>tying into the hydraulics.  Maybe not, possibly just a sales tool.

Interesting. When you think about it, there must some relatively
inexpensive transducers available since the G-Tech, G-Analyst and other
similar devices that measure vector acceleration are really pretty cheap
these days. I'd think you could use similar technology to control voltage
to trailer brakes, too. If you're measuring lateral acceleration a
pendulum moving in a single (fore & aft) plane won't cut it.

Did you install the controller yourself? I remember on the K-H you
adjusted a lever on one side of the controller to a vertical position and
then there was a knob on the opposite side to set sensitivity. Seemed to
work well although we never really did a long tow before selling the
trailer and truck (in anticipation of the big move that fell through).

I'm trying to be more thorough in my research this time around. I don't
want to get into a tow rig any larger than I need to, but I would rather
err on the plus side rather than something slightly too small. That's why
we've ruled out mini vans, even with the newer V-6s. They're rated to tow
up to 3500 lbs., but that's max load. Since the car and trailer are going
to run around 3200 lbs., that doesn't leave enough margin for passengers
and other stuff to make me comfortable. I would definitely appreciate the
benefit of other's experiences, off list if you'd prefer.

Ron

Ronnie Day
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)