Re: weight distributing hitches

To: SGHT@aol.com
Subject: Re: weight distributing hitches
From: Guy <gppepoy@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 12:44:52 -0800
SGHT@aol.com wrote:

> A bit of experience - I towed a ITS 280Z from Rochester, NY to Summit Point,
> WV and it was the longest, nerve wracking drive I have ever had. I was using
> a Jeep Cherokee with a tandem trailer and a standard Class 3 hitch.
> Since then, I have towed all over the NE with the same Jeep, a weight
> distributing hitch, and a two wheel trailer. I haul the Z or my vintage race
> 1600 roadster. This combo tows at any highway speed with minimum sway, and
> with straight line braking. I have electric brakes on the trailer. I feel
> anyone is nuts to tow a car or other heavy trailer without the right hitch
> and brakes.
> The hitch works with two bars that attach to the car's hitch and the trailer
> tongue. By adjusting the tension chains between these bars and the tongue,
> you actually lift the hitch/tongue, applying more weight to the car's front
> wheels and the trailer wheels, thus distributing the weight more evenly
> between the axles of the car and trailer. This also minimizes the car's
> tendency to ride low in the rear/high in the front, which in turn makes the
> whole rig more balanced and stable.
> Sam Turner
Sam
Thanks for the information.
I am thinking of using something called a Car Kaddy.  A buddy of mine
works for U-Haul and said he thought he could get me a "good deal" on a
used one.  Does anyone have experience towing a roadster with one of
these little guys.  (A Car Kaddy has a single tounge attached to a low
axel and two small ramps.  The front or rear wheels of the car being
towed are driven/pushed on the axel and the car's other two rear or
front wheels remain on the road).
I have seen a number of snowbirds towing their small cars with these
attached behind their Landwhales (Winnebago type behemouths that I hate
to get stuck behind on a two lane mountain road).
Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

Guy Pepoy
1967.5 SPL 311
Tempe, Arizona