Re: weight distributing hitches

To: SGHT@aol.com
Subject: Re: weight distributing hitches
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 16:25:19 -0600
>I agree with Sam.  I have a 3/4 ton Ram van that I use to tow a 31', 5000 lb
>travel trailer with.  I use a weight distribution hitch also.  With the hitch
>torsion bars disconnected the rear of the van is down about 3" from where it
>sits with no load on the hitch.
>
>By marking the same reference marks on all 4 corners of the van and hitching
>up the trailer, then adjusting the tortion bar chainsuntil the van drops the
>same amount front and rear, the rear end of the van will only be about 1.5"
>lower than the hitch sits with no load.  I also have electric trailer brakes
>that work fine.  The only problem that I have with the brakes is that it
>would
>be nice to have different amounts of braking when going slow or fast.  If I
>set the brake controller for highway speeds, I get thrown forward when using
>the brakes at low speeds!  I am planning on modifying the brake controller to
>take vehicle speed into account, but that won't be any time soon.

I'm glad we got into this. We're getting ready to buy a new truck soon
and build a new flatbed car/utility trailer and one thing I'm very
concerned about is safe and comfortable towing, particularly out to
Shasta and maybe back east, too. I had a 1/2 ton

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
ron510@mac.com
ronnie_day@acd.org