Re: MGB jack

To: mfldd@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu
Subject: Re: MGB jack
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 14:42:58 -0500
Final noise from me about Lew and jacks - Lew Dunbar Dove wrote:

Thanks to all who replied....
I use a hydraulic jack to raise the car... and then use car (fixed)
jacks/supports...   If I am going to be under the car, I jack up all four
corners so I have some clearance.
--------------
I was thinking only in terms of a jack to be used on the road, NOT one for
servicing a car.  Let me underscore Lew's comments above.  For servicing,
the hydraulic jack and jack stands is THE ONLY WAY TO GO - unless you own a
lift, I guess.  I hope I NOBODY inferred from my earlier posts that one
could go under a car supported by a scissors jack.  NO NO NO. Use the four
jack stands (no bricks, no concrete blocks, etc)  - and if you're going to
buy jack stands - get the 6-ton stands.  You don't need the 6-ton capacity
for an MG, but they raise your car quite a bit higher making your work
easier,  and they just look so wonderfully sturdy - they inspire
confidence.

OK so all SOLers know stuff like this - but just in case somebody might
misunderstand, I'll sleep better for having said this.  If you haven't
already hit the "delete" key, I really am done now.

Allen Bachelder