Re: MGB jack

To: <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB jack
From: "POCHE@music.loyno.edu" <POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 10:21:51 CST
SendMail TO(BritCars) Subj(Re: MGB jack) File(JAN26951.oma)
BlackTiger Mailer - Msg Created 01-26-1995 .. 08:55:06

>Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 14:16:55 -0500
>From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
>Subject: Re: MGB jack
>
>>SOLs,
>>        Nigel cudgel, my MGB needs a jack . . .
>>        Lew Dove
>
>Lew -
>You don't actually USE one of those jacks do you?  Find one that looks
>good, whether it works or not - just to display at shows.  I carry a
>scissors jack when I actually need to jack the car up.  The only time to
>use one of those jacks is when  looking at a potential purchase.  If the
>owner brags a bit too much about the lack of rust,  play dumb and ask him
>to demonstrate how the jack works.  You can imagine what might happen if
>the guy is lying!

Hey, that brings up a good question...
I'm working on fixing the rust and rot in the sills on my 'B,
IF I never intend on owning one of those jacks, is it absolutely
necessary that I repair that extended bit of frame (for lack of a
better term), and the brace inside the sill?
OR, (again never ever wanting to see one of those jacks again)
can I just leave that part out?
Guess what I"m asking is, is that jack support a structural part
of the car, or is it just to support the car (badly) while on
the jack?

Thanks.

Louis A. Poche' - Internet: POCHE@music.loyno.edu
                  Amateur Radio: KD5XE