MGB jack

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB jack
From: Lewis Dunbar Dove <mfldd@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 09:44:29 -0600 (CST)
SOLs,
        Nigel cudgel, my MGB needs a jack rebuild or a replacement
jack. The gears are stripped. A friend supplied me with a VW
Transporter jack with a round peg substituted for the square peg used
in VWs. It works fine, but I would like to have an original unit.
Are MGB jacks that hard to find, or have I just been looking in the
wrong places?  Ideally, I would like to have a unit which appears
stock but has harder gears; my old one looks like the gears were made
out of pot metal.
        Please reply to me directly, unless you have comments,
wisecracks, etc. which we would all enjoy.  What is the British
equivalent of jack?
        Lew Dove