Re: MGB jack

To: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Subject: Re: MGB jack
From: Lewis Dunbar Dove <mfldd@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 13:12:47 -0600 (CST)
Thanks to all who replied.  I still don't have a lead on a jack
unless Marcus' midget jack is the same as the MGB; I will have to
follow that up.  By the way Marcus, didn't I meet you at the British
Car Day at Champaign, IL last summer?  Don't you have a beautiful red
Lotus?  Sorry, I don't remember names, only cars.  I don't flame the
British; some of my best friends (MG, Triumph, etc.) are British.
        TerriAnn, I am neutral on the jack question, being basically
non-confrontational by nature.  I would use the MG jack for roadside
emergencies; it doesn't take up much room and it allows me to store
important things, like spare fuel pumps, picnic baskets, etc. Back at
home, I am very cautious.  I use a hydraulic jack to raise the car
and then use car (fixed) jacks/supports.  They are cheap to buy.  I
have 6 of them, mainly picked up at auctions.  They average about $5
apiece.  If I am going to be under the car, I jack up all four
corners so I have some clearance.  You are probably correct in
assuming that the first problem with my jack was too much free play
at the top of the jack.  Anyway, the damage has been done and the
gears are irretrievably damaged. I drilled out the welds and had a
look.
        Allen, I haven't had any luck at Brit car shows or Hemmings
yet, but I will keep trying.  If someone has a hard-gear replacement
for the ones in my jack, I will replace them and try to strengthen
the top in a way that will not show.
        Any more ideas?
Lew Dove  - " I'm all right Jack" (for old film buffs)